About the Company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. goTenna aims to
become part of everyone’s technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers and wi-fi
routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. Our first product started shipping in October 2015 and after
being solely available on our website, in spring 2016 we launched at REI nationwide and are now
expanding into different retail channels. We have various new products coming out later this year
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with two rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a special room
named after Freud, and a friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the Role:
You’re a do-it-all product manager with deep execution chops and a track record for delivering quality products on time. You will be responsible for the experience both consumer and institutional users have with our products and services. As a product manager, you’ll study how customers use (and want to use) goTenna and craft features that elevate the experience of interacting with our fullstack of technologies, which includes software, firmware, wireless networking protocols, and hardware.
Working across highly cross-functional teams, you will be responsible for driving development of your ideas and other groups’ business requirements from concept to production. Some days you will be down in the details with engineers, and others you will be out in the field, observing how our products perform and talking to end customers.
This is a broad role, requiring technical savvy, organizational prowess, curiosity, confidence, and drive. It’s a role within a dynamic startup environment that will give you opportunities to help build out the structure of an efficient product organization. You will help set the requirements and manage the schedules for various product development processes, touching upon everything from the UI/UX in our mobile apps to the mechanical design of our hardware, working closely with the business leads for both consumer and institutional markets to translate business requirements into actionable deliverables by the engineering and supply chain/manufacturing teams.
You should note that we are hiring for goTenna’s first dedicated product manager. This means that at least to start, you’ll be the only product manager on our team. As we navigate the launches of our next few products into brandnew markets, we will build out the team as necessary to make sure market demands align with product management resources internally. Sound exciting? Great! We thought so too.
While no role at a startup is easy to encapsulate in a job description, here are some highlevel buckets that would be within your purview:
You day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Bring fresh ideas to the company’s product roadmap and strategy.
- Own the product development and design of key business initiatives.
- Define user stories and features. Write engineeringready specs (i.e. MRDs, PRDs),
create wireframes, validate new features, develop release processes, and iterate — quickly and constantly.
- Know the customer and relentlessly advocate in their best interest. This includes
communicating with business leads as well as end customers to understand market requirements.
- Prioritize and integrate features across our mobile software. Work broadly across design, engineering, and marketing teams to manage the backlog of requests and plan sprints accordingly.
- Create and maintain the team’s roadmap and milestones. Work cross-functionally to unify plans and align priorities, schedules, and resourcing.
- Track program risks, help drive mitigations, and represent status to the broader leadership team.
- Deliver thoughtful and well-designed products on a timely pace.
- Cooperate directly with engineering, design, and marketing teams.
- Incorporate customer support feedback into the QA and engineering process.
Required qualifications & experience:
- 35 years of Product Management experience for a consumer-facing hardware product
- BS or equivalent undergraduate degree in a technical discipline
- Track record of shipping and iterating on successful products
- Expertise in mobile app UI conventions
- Expertise in writing detailed product requirements
- Ability to write error-free consumer-facing copy
- Willingness to work on multiple projects in parallel; proactive in responding to cultural shifts and happenings
- Familiarity with data analytics and project management software
- Attention to detail (i.e. caring about pixel- and millisecond-level design impacts)
It'd be awesome if you had:
- Experience with wearable technology, hardware devices
- Experience working with internationally localized products
- Experience working in a startup environment
- An affinity for creating animated gifs, telling jokes, sharing funny links
- Love for goTenna!
This is a fulltime position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the CEO. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, and a month of holidays and PTO each year.
To apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org, and title your email “Product manager.” We are hiring immediately.