About the Company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. goTenna aims to
become part of everyone’s technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers and wi-fi
routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. Our first product started shipping in October 2015 and after
being solely available on our website, in spring 2016 we launched at REI nationwide and are now
expanding into different retail channels. We have various new products coming out later this year
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with two rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a special room
named after Freud, and a friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the Role:
You’re a visual designer who is hands on but also has prior experience crafting the strategic design direction of a consumer brand that is meant to both delight and meet goals (read: conversions).
In this role you’ll work closely with the CEO as well as the marketing team on a daily basis to iterate on the goTenna website, ad creative, and offline collateral while creating a thoughtful, intuitive experience across all of our brand touch points. When people say “Hmmm... what should we do here?” in a meeting, you’ll contribute not just concepts, color palettes, and grid systems, but also by offering critical thoughts about everything from copy writing to code ramifications to business goals.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Working with our marketing team to produce a variety of outward-facing marketing material such as landing pages, email templates, display ads, presentations, beautifully-styled visualizations, event signage, etc.
- Produce and own visual design style guides and maintain them as they evolve
- Deliver pixel perfect designs and guide the development process
- Design interactive elements such as animations, rollovers, etc.
- Translate technical features, process workflows and company-relevant stats into infographics
- Contribute constructively to team brainstorms and group critiques throughout the development process
- Contribute to and provide a visual design language, patterns, and assets for goTenna products
- Add beauty, elegance, creativity, and inspire creative boldness wherever needed
Required qualifications & experience:
- Strong knowledge of Sketch and/or the Adobe Creative Suite
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of responsive & mobile design principles
- Experience simplifying complex problems and creating intuitive customer experiences for the web
- Experience working on a conversion and metrics driven consumer product — ideally e-commerce (though it can also be downloads, signups, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of traditional design best practices and cutting-edge approaches
- Commitment to owning all responsibilities and tasks
It'd be awesome if you had:
- UI/UX design experience for Android and iOS
- Exposure to online advertising, email marketing, data analytics, and tools like Mixpanel and Optimizely
- Startup experience, or some other kind of scrappy small team
- Experience sourcing and managing external creative resources & consultants
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively with a small but dedicated group of talented individuals
- Impeccable task management prowess and serious gumption
- An affinity for creating animated gifs, telling jokes, sharing funny links
- Love for goTenna!
This is a full time position based in Brooklyn. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, and a month of holidays and PTO each year.
To apply please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email “Visual Designer.” We are hiring immediately.