About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
In this role you will lead the design of goTenna’s wireless architecture, by defining and developing our mobile ad hoc networking stack — including mesh! — and, in the process, you will hopefully help us advance our vision for a scalable, resilient, intelligent distributed communication infrastructure. This is a great opportunity to architect and develop new protocols (including advancing our first protocols, Aspen Prime and Aspen Grove), deliver exciting new products for both consumer and professional markets, and closely collaborate with a top-class engineering team. Your role is to drive our company’s wireless protocol technology roadmap through definition of protocols as well as hands-on implementation of those protocols on various goTenna product line, taking the core of our technology from conceptualization to full commercialization.
This role’s main responsibilities include:
- Architect and develop wireless mesh networking protocol stack. This includes specify the protocol, documenting, optimizing and implementing it on the goTenna hardware platform.
Simulate, evaluate the performance and optimize protocol design options on MATLAB or other simulation tools.
Coding, testing and productizing the networking stacks on multiple goTenna platforms.
Subject Matter Expert in wireless networking. Follow the technology trends in wireless industry and feedback the latest trends into the architecture and product design.
- MS or PhD focused on wireless communications
- 15-25 years of experience in wireless technologies, systems engineering, 5+ years in architecture role
- Systems Architecture in special communications, such as JTRS, SRW, WNW, MOUS, mobile TCP/IP
- Hands-on, industry experience with algorithmic development, such as MAC, Wireless Mesh, SMS, MANET
- Experience in successfully shipping end-user-ready products based on mesh networking solutions
- Experience with wireless networking routing protocols including OLSR, AODV, and/or OSPF
- Experience in development of networking solutions with protocols such as WiFi or Bluetooth on embedded platforms
- Simulations familiar in environments of NS2, NS3, OPNET, MATLAB
- Leadership experience in networking technologies and worked with small and large, firmware and software teams
- Language Experience: C,C++,Java, Matlab, Python
- Operating Systems: VxWorks, Nucleus, RTOS
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the head of engineering. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered), a $1,500 technology stipend, and a month of holidays and PTO each year.
To apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and more about your relevant experience and interest in the role. Please title your email “Wireless network architect”. We are hiring immediately.
This position is based out of our Brooklyn, New York office.