About the company:
goTenna creates distributed communication networks that increase scale, resiliency, and access.
Communications is the keystone of all fundamental facilities and systems, but today’s
infrastructure must evolve in order to meet 21st century needs. At goTenna, we are working on
advancing universal access to connectivity by decentralizing it.
goTenna builds next-generation wireless architectures to power bottom-up communications networks
that get stronger as they grow. We focus on low-power, low-cost, modular mobile ad-hoc networking
protocols and devices that are easy-to-use and developer-friendly. Our parallel networks are
designed to both enable completely off-grid communication and augment traditional systems by
extending the practical edge of connectivity.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both social and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Union Square Ventures, Collaborative Fund,
Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn Bridge, MentorTech, BBG Ventures, Walden VC). Our downtown Brooklyn
loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like
teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
In this role you will lead the design of goTenna’s wireless architecture, by defining and developing our mobile ad hoc networking stack — including mesh! — and, in the process, you will hopefully help us advance our vision for a scalable, resilient, intelligent distributed communication infrastructure. This is a great opportunity to architect and develop new protocols (including advancing our first protocols, Aspen Prime and Aspen Grove), deliver exciting new products for both consumer and professional markets, and closely collaborate with a top-class engineering team. Your role is to drive our company’s wireless protocol technology roadmap through definition of protocols as well as hands-on implementation of those protocols on various goTenna product line, taking the core of our technology from conceptualization to full commercialization.
This role’s main responsibilities include:
- Architect and develop wireless mesh networking protocol stack. This includes specify the protocol, documenting, optimizing and implementing it on the goTenna hardware platform.
- Simulate, evaluate the performance and optimize protocol design options on MATLAB or other simulation tools.
- Coding, testing and productizing the networking stacks on multiple goTenna platforms.
- Subject Matter Expert in wireless networking. Follow the technology trends in wireless industry and feedback the latest trends into the architecture and product design.
- 10 years of experience in wireless technologies, systems engineering, 5+ years in architecture role
- Systems Architecture in special communications, such as JTRS, SRW, WNW, MOUS, mobile TCP/IP
- Hands-on, industry experience with algorithmic development, such as MAC, Wireless Mesh, SMS, MANET
- Experience in successfully shipping end-user-ready products based on mesh networking solutions
- Experience with wireless networking routing protocols including OLSR, AODV, and/or OSPF
- MS or PhD focused on wireless communications
- Experience in development of networking solutions with protocols such as WiFi or Bluetooth on embedded platforms
- Simulations familiar in environments of NS2, NS3, OPNET, MATLAB
- Leadership experience in networking technologies and worked with small and large, firmware and software teams
- Language Experience: C, C++, Java, Matlab, Python
- Operating Systems: VxWorks, Nucleus, RTOS
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the head of engineering. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered), a $1,500 technology stipend, and a month of holidays and PTO each year.
To apply, please write to email@example.com with your resume and more about your relevant experience and interest in the role. Please title your email “Wireless network architect”. We are hiring immediately.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is based out of our Brooklyn, New York office.