About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
Over the past years goTenna has built up significant relationships with the defense, public safety, industrial, and enterprise markets. Professional users have been buying and using our award-winning consumer products, and more recently they’ve also been engaged in the development of our upcoming professional-grade products. The goTenna Professional product line is about to officially hit the market, and key customers’ reaction can be described as nothing less than eager anticipation. Our institutional sales waterfall is wide-reaching as it is — Salesforce is already filled with leads — but we’re looking to hire someone to take this opportunity to the next level.
If you’re the right person for the Director, U.S. Institutional Sales role, you have a deep network applicable to goTenna’s professional product-market fits; expert familiarity with the processes and deadlines that frame institutional buying cycles; keen quantitative skills needed for accurate sales forecasting, budget planning, and departmental P&L responsibility; strong customer relationship development and management experience; proven ability managing external contractors and mentoring junior colleagues; well-versed in setting sales operations best practices; exposure to business development side of professional sales (e.g. RFPs); exceedingly strong interpersonal and technical communication skills; a goal-oriented “fire in the belly” drive to deliver bottom-line results; and, finally, a commitment to honesty, excellence, and continuous improvement.
As goTenna’s first dedicated institutional sales leader, the main responsibility of the Director of U.S. Institutional Sales will be to create and execute on the sales strategy for public safety, defense, industrial, and enterprise markets — with a large focus on public safety at the outset, as it’s where we expect to see the most scalable early traction. These strategies should include the development of significant in-house sales accounts as well as a robust external sales partner network. As of today, the processes, team, and strategies for success in these professional markets are very promising but nevertheless nascent, so it will be your responsibility to fully define and drive them to success. Joining the goTenna team now means entering at an exciting inflection point — with millions of dollars in revenue already (mostly in B2C) and with B2B/B2G product fit confirmed and about to hit the market, we’re moving into brand expansion and market capitalization mode.
This role, naturally, will be a big part of this pivotal next stage. You’ll work in close partnership with the VP, Institutional Product & Marketing to ensure continuing product/market fit, aligned business development efforts, and evolving sales strategies. As a key member of goTenna’s executive team, you will also collaborate with the CEO, COO/VPE, Director of Finance, Director of Business Operations, and more.
- Create and execute on a sales plan to manage and grow goTenna's institutional opportunity in the United States, including the following:
House accounts: Build, manage & execute on the internal B2B/B2G sales efforts at goTenna. This will include prospecting potential clients, closing and negotiating deals, building sales collateral, developing internal sales processes, developing sales/promotional strategies, and any other needs related to closing major business for the professional product lines within goTenna.
Distribution/reseller & value-added services partner network: Partner sourcing, deal registration management, sales support, developing sales processes, training, sales collateral production, coordinated marketing and anything else required to support a healthy, responsive, and competent network of outside sales channels.
- Serve as primary contact for key accounts and house accounts before, during, and — in concert with customer support — after closing.
- Lead negotiations, quoting/invoicing/POs, ensure legal contracts related to institutional sales are signed (e.g. NDAs, partner PSAs, etc.), and that all sales-related accounts and profiles (e.g. SAM, GSA, etc.) are securely managed and up-to-date.
- Collaborate closely with VP, Institutional Product & Marketing on developing BD opportunities through government contract vehicles, RFPs, and any other general processes associated with selling into federal, state, and local government entities.
- Maintain positive relationships with all business partners (customers and otherwise).
- Develop and distribute/present literature and other sales development materials consistent with plans, policies, budgets.
- Participate in setting a schedule for and coordinating all relevant industry events (e.g. trade shows, demos, conferences) in a demonstrably cost-effective manner and in support of prescribed goals and objectives. Staff all such events.
- Staff & coordinate all other meetings in a similarly cost-effective and strategically sound manner.
- Work closely with marketing team to support institutional sales objectives with targeted and coordinated marketing campaigns.
- Collaborate with direct-to-consumer (gotenna.com/e-commerce) and institutional product & marketing teams leads to drive greater synergies and more creative ideation for all revenue-driving areas of the business.
- Deliver expert understanding (after onboarding, of course) of all goTenna application architectures, use-cases, and overall technological scope so as to properly educate and empower clients and partners to derive maximal value from goTenna’s professional product line.
- Consistently portray the company in a positive manner, telling the goTenna story, promoting and expanding brand awareness.
- Manage supporting institutional sales staff; develop a hiring plan and execute on it. (To start, the Institutional BD Coordinator will partly report to both this role and the VP of Institutional Product & Marketing.)
Planning & finance
- Lead the cooperative team effort to attain approval of, and implement a comprehensive and accurate annual institutional sales plan and budget that supports company direction, plans, objectives and goals.
- Full P&L responsibility for institutional sales. Ensure sales, service, and profitability targets are hit (or exceeded), consistent with plans and budgets, in all markets.
- Ownership of all institutional sales planning, funnel reporting, etc. within CRM (i.e. Salesforce), including leading weekly and quarterly pipeline reviews with relevant colleagues and external sales partners.
- Work closely with operations and supply chain teams to ensure consistent communication of sales timing, inventory needs, and financial terms.
- Produce and provide a unit sales forecast, by SKU, by month, as such:
- Ownership of 12-month rolling sales forecast, with first 3 months contractually obligated to contract manufacturer. Sales forecast accuracy will be within reasonable prescribed accuracy limits.
- Work closely with executive team on global pricing plans for current and future products taking into account geographic and channel sensitivities.
- Work closely with executive team to guide both near- and long-term strategic, product, and financial planning for the institutional business.
- Cost-effectively gather, interpret, and report on relevant market trends, conditions, opportunities, and threats.
- All relevant market data is effectively communicated in a timely manner
- All requested market information requested is provided in a timely manner
- Provide collaborative input to executive, product, and marketing teams based on market insight and customer feedback for both existing products and those in development, so as to ensure market alignment around product, message, price, etc.
Required qualifications & attributes:
- 10+ years selling into the private and/or public safety markets. Wireless, radio, emergency communications, and/or telecommunications sales experience is a strong plus, as is a past career in these industries prior to transitioning into sales.
- 5+ years in a sales leadership role, with experience managing and hiring a sales team; building and managing a channel partner distribution sales network; “pioneering” and scaling sales for a new product and/or category; P&L responsibility.
- Familiarity managing longer sales cycles related to private and/or public organizations sales. For public sales, this specifically includes: Government contract vehicles, RFPs, and any other general processes associated with selling into federal, state, and local government entities.
- Very strong technical sales experience; you should be comfortable selling high-technology and mission-critical operational applications to professional users.
- Excellent command of Excel and business economics; deeply familiar with owning and building financial models related to sales, including accurate sales forecasting for inventory and A/R management.
- Best-in-class negotiating skills.
- Experience driving distributor, sales rep, and other external relationships.
- Experience creating sales development material and collaborating with marketing on campaigns to support sales efforts.
- Superb written and spoken communication; engaging presentation skills.
- Excellent prospecting and lead development skills. Strong interpersonal networking ability; strategic persistence in following up with contacts.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a high volume of opportunities
- Proven and consistent track record of meeting and exceeding sales quotas
- Strong analytical skills, suited to parsing a bevy of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Willingness to travel up to 75% of the time during crucial periods.
- Stamina, accountability, sense of humor, proactive approach, and work ethic appropriate for a fast-paced, team-oriented young company.
- Ability to work independently with minimal daily direction: self-starter; motivated; extremely well-organized with tasks, deadlines, and email; has worked successfully in a virtual environment.
This is a full-time position — role can be based at our HQ in Brooklyn, NYC or remotely from a location that’s of strategic value to the institutional sales market. Compensation package includes: annual salary, contingent performance bonus, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, a month of holidays and PTO each year, and other good stuff (e.g. FSA, commuter tax benefits).
To apply, please write to email@example.com and title your email “Institutional sales”. We are hiring immediately.