About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
In this role you will be a key member of the team developing firmware for goTenna Mesh and Pro products. You are responsible for design, development, testing and debugging Bluetooth, RF and Mesh protocols and developing board support packages for new hardware, and optimizing performance for current and future products. In this position, you will collaborate with others who focus on engineering disciplines such as networking, hardware, app development, and QA to create highly integrated products for our customers. Always seeking ways to improve productivity and quality, you will contribute to the overall evolution of our Agile process.
This role’s main responsibilities include:
- Coding, testing and productizing networking stacks on multiple goTenna platforms
- Design, implement and test firmware modules in embedded C. This includes Bluetooth, RF, board support packages, and ISRs.
- Develop unit test plans and unit test firmware
- Bachelor or Masters in engineering (CS, EE or related field), preferably with communications background
- 5 - 10 years of experience in embedded systems
- Experience implementing networking/RF/Bluetooth stacks on embedded platforms
- Demonstrated experience in real time operating systems (RTOS)
- Strong coding skills in C, C++
- Demonstrated ability to work in small form factor embedded systems and resource constrained hardware
- Experience working with low-level hardware, developing low-level drivers, bootloaders, and developing board support packages.
- Operating Systems: VxWorks, Nucleus, embedded Linux, RTOS
- Tools: Eclipse, KDS, gdb, Git/Github, embedded system debug probes
- Capable of handling multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously, executing through to completion
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the director of software engineering. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, a month of holidays and PTO each year, and other good stuff (e.g. FSA, commuter tax benefits).
To apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email “Firmware Engineer”. We are hiring immediately.