About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
As we have an exciting, multi-pronged development pipeline, this position requires demonstrated ability to both extend and expand our firmware to support new hardware and software features from concept, through power-up, prototypes, and testing to high-volume production. In this position, you will collaborate with others who focus on engineering disciplines such as: networking, hardware, app development, and QA to create highly integrated products for our customers. Always seeking ways to improve productivity and quality you will contribute to the overall evolution of our Agile process.
Experience / skills required:
- Bachelor degree in engineering (EE, CS or related field)
- 5-10+ years of experience in embedded systems
- Ability to design overall system architecture and lead its implementation through QA and production
- Expertise with real time operating systems (RTOS)
- Expertise coding in C
- Expertise working with low power resource constrained hardware
- Expertise interfacing directly with low level hardware resources (clocks, SPI ports, etc.)
- Experience implementing networking/RF applications
- Experience with ARM processors
- Experience with MQX RTOS
- Experience in the development of consumer electronics
- Experience using Git/Github or similar source revision control systems
- Experience with Agile/scrum, unit testing, pair programming
- Results-driven, proactive, goal-oriented approach to decision-making
- Clear and strategic thinker — proven experience in translating strategies into actionable plans and objectives, striving to exceed goals
- Capable of handling multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously, executing through to completion
- Able to adapt to changing demands and conditions
- Quick self-learner; when new technologies or problems appear, you should be able to adapt
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered), a $1,500 technology stipend, and a month of holidays and PTO each year.
To apply, please write to email@example.com with the subject “Firmware”. Please attach a resume in PDF format and tell us a little bit about why you’re interested in this position, and why you think it’s a fit for your skills and experience. We are hiring immediately.