About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
With a vast and growing customer list — ranging from nationwide retailers to government agencies — goTenna is looking for a finance lead to help us level up the operational side of the business as we continue to innovate from our market-leading position.
As our first finance or accounting hire, you'll begin by systematizing and executing all aspects of our general accounting functions — financial statements, payables, receivables, tax filings, and more — including interacting with customers and vendors, and managing bookkeepers and tax professionals.
On top of that foundation, you'll work closely with the CEO and the rest of the executive team to develop processes for financial planning, budgeting, and reporting that support our future growth. We are a hardware company that is kicking off its SaaS offerings, so you should have a deep understanding of both inventory-based and software-based businesses, and how to make them work in practice.
This role is for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and inventory-based business experience. Ideally you additionally have an understanding of SaaS and the complexity of a business with opportunities across consumer, public, and enterprise markets, and you’re looking to accelerate your career by making a major impact on a rapidly growing business.
Your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Owning & maintaining all operational accounting processes and policies appropriate for a company of our stage and executing them to deliver timely and accurate financial statements, while overseeing end-to-end A/R and A/P.
- Owning budgets and forecast models to support the executive team and board's financial decision making and reporting variances against operating results.
- Negotiating the best deals possible with vendors, alongside relevant colleagues in relevant areas (e.g. supply chain/manufacturing, sales, business operations, etc.. Working with sales to structure commercial terms of client orders (which sometimes include grants) and assisting with simple revisions to related agreements.
- Overseeing our finance IT and HR stack as the primary administrator (e.g. QuickBooks, JustWorks, Expensify, Bill.com, eShares, bank accounts, etc.).
- Complying with applicable local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings, including income taxes and regulatory rules related to labor and inventory, with outside tax assistance from our CPA firm as needed.
- Measuring, reporting, and analyzing financial and non-financial operational KPIs and related metrics that support business strategy.
Required skills & attributes:
- You're a natural doer with a bias for action, who can lead our outside accounting team and gradually bring roles in-house to scale these functions in the future.
You have 8+ years of relevant finance experience, and you've demonstrated the ability to optimize finance and accounting/controller processes at multiple early-stage or high-growth companies.
You have 2+ years leadership experience at an inventory-based business, preferably in electronics. You’re familiar with the financial nuances of international supply chain logistics required to source and deliver products to customers.
- You believe in numbers and making data-driven decisions. You see the necessity of a solid financial foundation integrated with every department, and you have the ability to apply finance best practices in an environment with limited set processes.
- You make the complex world of finance clear and digestible using your strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You're optimistic and enjoy collaborating with a small, growing team. You're not afraid to jump into the details to solve problems and you systematize things at the right time.
- You analyze large, disparate sets of data with Excel and basic SQL to synthesize actionable insights. You love pivot tables and financial models!
- You have a degree in finance, accounting or relevant field, with a strong grasp of corporate finance and accounting including GAAP; CPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
It'd be awesome if you had:
- Startup experience, including the proven ability to creatively adapt to resource constraints (e.g. time, budget, etc.).
- An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, do cool stuff outside work, and try to be creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
- Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground-up!
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the CEO. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, a month of holidays and PTO each year, and other good stuff (e.g. FSA, commuter tax benefits).
To apply, please write to email@example.com and title your email “Head of Finance.” We are hiring immediately.
This position is based out of our Brooklyn, New York office.