About the company:
goTenna is a Brooklyn-based startup, building products that enable completely decentralized
communication. We’re starting with an eponymous device that, paired with your smartphone, lets
you communicate with friends even when you have no cell or data service. The first-and-only of
its kind, this product successfully started shipping in October 2015 and moved into nationwide retail
in 2016. We have various new products for both consumers and professional markets which we'll be
releasing in 2017.
goTenna aims to become part of everyone's technology essentials, reducing our reliance on cell towers
and wifi routers; and providing users the ability to create a network on their terms, anywhere in the
world, free of charges or fees. It starts being useful when you're off-grid, but our technology can
be part of the everyday communication stack. Our vision is to build bottom-up communication technology
because we believe that in the near future instead of depending on hard-to-scale, geographically-constrained,
expensive top-down infrastructure (i.e. tubes, wires, towers), connectivity will be created by people and
the things around them in a distributed, modular, scalable way. Beyond B2C and B2B, we have designs on
IoT and emerging markets.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both philosophical and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Collaborative Fund, Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn
Bridge, MentorTech, BBG, Walden). Our downtown Brooklyn loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room
named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
You are a motivated and inspired marketer with experience in at least a few of these areas: consumer goods, electronics, editorial, e-commerce, customer acquisition, community engagement. You will build, manage and lead all of goTenna’s marketing efforts, with an eye towards ROI, even as you experiment creatively in advancing our brand. You have demonstrated strategic thinking and creativity and the ability to execute with limited resources.
Your passion and proficiency in using communications strategically as an integral component of brand growth, scalable customer acquisition, and community development will be what you bring to our growing team. Responsibilities include:
- Brand strategy: Guidelines, look & feel, tone of voice, audience development, messaging and storytelling, content strategy and creative oversight and development
- Customer acquisition: Media and tactics strategy, budget planning, audience finding, testing, tuning and ROI analysis
- PR, events & community: Earned media, influencers, social media, speaking engagements, community development and events
- Marketing partnerships: Identify, develop and launch partnerships that will drive awareness and product adoption
- Budget development and management
- Team development and management
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Ensure and enforce consistency of brand voice and strategy through all customer touch points.
- Create and implement product marketing intended to retain and attract customers in various segments via all available channels: email, social, website, brand content, video, assorted collateral, retail POP, events, press, etc.
- Identify marketing opportunities, prioritize areas of focus and optimization, and innovate on how to drive adoption and awareness.
- Develop and drive online and offline strategies to grow brand awareness and customer acquisition for existing products as well as manage marketing launches for new product introductions.
- Track, measure and report on campaign results and improve strategies based on a combination of data and intuition. Set KPIs to determine success and learnings gleaned from all efforts – in other words, make sure your art has some science behind it, whenever possible!
- Create and execute a marketing calendar that is relevant to our product pipeline, industry events, seasonal goings-on, and full of original out-of-the-box ideas.
- Own e-commerce storefront — including projections, optimizations, and overall growth related to the direct-to-consumer channel, which remains our largest and most profitable opportunity. (As this is vertically integrated, everything is trackable, so ROI is a key metric here.)
- Manage junior marketing employees (e.g. content & social media coordinator, web developer, graphic designer, paid campaign manager) as well as external marketing resources (e.g. PR firm, paid acquisition firm, assorted freelancers, influencers and brand reps).
- Business unit responsibility for the marketing department, with budget and hiring responsibility.
- Collaborate with CEO on overall marketing vision and communications strategy, as well as partner with others within the organization (e.g. product, sales, BD, finance, biz ops) to optimize efforts.
Required qualifications & experience:
- This role is for a mid-senior level brand marketer. We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable being both senior contributor and manager of a marketing team comprised by junior colleagues.
- 8+ years of progressive leadership in brand and product marketing, with a commitment to balancing the art of marketing with the science of KPIs. Throughout the years you’ve become an expert on copywriting, creative direction, brand-side PR, customer engagement (online & offline), digital marketing, and new product introductions.
- Creative problem solver with a determination to succeed who can create relevant, meaningful and compelling soup-to-nuts marketing programs.
- 3+years of managing a marketing team, including recruitment, selection, and development of team members.
- Independent and motivated with the wisdom to seek help where needed.
- Highly articulate, ability to communicate effectively both when speaking and writing. You’re allergic to typos and grammatical errors, and relish finding the best way to tell a story.
- Keen aesthetic eye. Graphic designers, photographers, videographers, etc. will follow your direction through ideation to drafting — all the way to a pixel-perfect finish.
- Comfortable collaborating with different teams and inclusive in how others can contribute to marketing efforts.
- Startup experience. You must be open to new things and learning on the fly — things move and change fast here. You should excel at creatively adapting to resource constraints (e.g. time, budget, personnel).
- Open communication style — you prefer to give and receive real-time honest feedback and news rather than bottle things up and share later.
It’d be awesome if you had:
- Experience marketing products that required consumer education (i.e. aren’t well-understood) and/or pioneered a whole new category (i.e. aren’t “me-too”).
- Experience in e-commerce.
- Existing relationships within some of the B2C markets we hit (e.g. CE, outdoors, travel, emergency, etc.).
- Existing relationships within some of the B2B markets we hit (e.g. military, public safety, NGOs, business continuity, industrial, etc.).
- An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, do cool stuff outside work, and try to be creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
- Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground-up!
Title is negotiable based on experience. This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, reporting to the CEO. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, a month of holidays and PTO each year, and other good stuff (e.g. FSA, commuter tax benefits).
To apply, please write to email@example.com and title your email “Marketing director.” We are hiring immediately.
This position is based out of our Brooklyn, New York office.