About the company:
goTenna creates distributed communication networks that increase scale, resiliency, and access.
Communications is the keystone of all fundamental facilities and systems, but today’s
infrastructure must evolve in order to meet 21st century needs. At goTenna, we are working on
advancing universal access to connectivity by decentralizing it.
goTenna builds next-generation wireless architectures to power bottom-up communications networks
that get stronger as they grow. We focus on low-power, low-cost, modular mobile ad-hoc networking
protocols and devices that are easy-to-use and developer-friendly. Our parallel networks are
designed to both enable completely off-grid communication and augment traditional systems by
extending the practical edge of connectivity.
We care a ton about what we’re building — from both social and technological
perspectives — and our team is a scrappy group, armed with a few rounds of
venture capital from some really nice folks (incl. Union Square Ventures, Collaborative Fund,
Bloomberg Beta, A16Z, Brooklyn Bridge, MentorTech, BBG Ventures, Walden VC). Our downtown Brooklyn
loft is stocked with snacks, a nap room named after Freud, and friendly, smart people who like
teaching and learning from each other.
About the role:
We’re hiring our first in-house product (UI/UX) designer, in a varied role encompassing our mobile apps and website (including e-commerce funnel), which reach assorted markets and end-users (i.e. B2C, B2B, B2G).
If you’re the right person for this role, you: love exploring and testing multiple approaches to arrive at the “best possible” mobile or web experience for the target end-user; apply exceptional attention to detail to every project, no matter the screen or page at hand; commit to iterating product design through learnings derived from users as well as data (i.e. you’re comfortable with both the science and the art of product design); have demonstrated ability to execute with limited resources (upside: total ownership!); have real passion for user-centered design and demonstrated ability applying user-centered design principles to create amazing web and mobile flows that continuously enhance and grow the user experience and, moreover, aligns with core strategic business goals.
You’d bring all of this experience to our growing team, where you’ll get to work closely with the CEO, COO/VPE, product managers, engineers, graphic designers and more. And although goTenna is a mid-stage startup, you’d get to come in and rethink our mobile apps and web conversion funnels from scratch — we’re looking for someone to come in with fresh eyes, new ideas, and UI/UX expertise to take everything we’ve done so far to the next level.
Your core areas of focus will be:
- Understanding goTenna users: Conduct user research, collect insights, and develop strategies to use data gathered.
- UX design: Apply findings to design user flows and interaction models for iOS/Android apps & web applications.
- UI design: Create & evolve design guidelines and ensure design consistency across product lines, ranging from B2C to B2B/B2G.
- Effective communication & collaboration: Share your learnings & designs with the team using mock-ups, wireframes, rapid prototypes, and other UI/UX design artifacts. Challenge the team and inspire others with your grasp of both the science and art behind product design. Create design processes for effective collaboration.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Understand how users interact with our products through in-person interviews, phone interviews, surveys, and more — and be an advocate for them.
- Define the user experience for new products using wireframes, storyboards, etc.
- Test and refine the user experience through continued user learnings, derived from your own interactions with users as well as data gleaned from the product support team.
- Work closely with product managers to drive cohesion between user experiences & product requirements.
- Create uniform style guides and ensure that a consistent design language is applied across all product platforms.
- Provide detailed UI guidelines for graphic designers and developers.
- Identify opportunities to improve user experiences for existing products, help prioritize areas of focus and optimization, and balance the needs of the user with the goals of the business.
Required qualifications & experience:
- 3+ years of designing & shipping for successful mobile (iOS & Android) and web applications; ideally with progressive ownership thereof
- Experience with user testing and using data to inform your designs.
- Demonstrated mastery of interaction design, and a heightened attention to detail.
- Experience working within an Agile development team.
- Ability to communicate effectively both visually and verbally.
- Keen understanding of mobile & web platforms. Although not required, coding skills would be a plus.
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision, Photoshop and other design tools.
- Ability to maintain high standards of quality, even under pressure.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, HCI, computer science or related discipline — alternatively, demonstrated professional experience to make up for it.
It’d be awesome if you had:
- Experience designing UI/UX for mobile messaging applications and/or e-commerce funnels.
- Experience designing enterprise-level mobile and/or web applications for B2B/B2G customers.
- Startup experience, including the proven ability to creatively adapt to resource constraints (e.g. time, budget, etc.).
- An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, do cool stuff outside work, and try to be creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
- Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground-up!
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn. Compensation package includes: annual salary, equity, benefits (100% of premiums covered for employees; 50% for dependents), a $1,500 technology stipend, a month of holidays and PTO each year, and other good stuff (e.g. FSA, commuter tax benefits).
To apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email “UI/UX designer.” We are hiring immediately.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is based out of our Brooklyn, New York office.